But when you begin to think of the words, one might ask…
How in the world does a bird in a tree, the mention of hens, geese and swans all have to do with Christmas? We didn’t even get to the milking, dancing and leaping about. It sounds like a party with animals and people all joining in unity of the partying theme.
This cumulative song, The Twelve Days of Christmas is a format where each verse is built on top of the previous verses. There are twelve verses total, each describing a gift given by "my true Love". This song became a popular hymn to be sung as a way to joyfully celebrate Christmas under the current law as well as phonetic tool to help others memorize important Biblical truths and theology themes.
Let’s take a look a little more closely to the meaning and interpretation of The Twelve Days of Christmas.
The” gift” is on the left and the Interpretation from the Bible is on the right:
1. The partridge in a pear tree =Jesus Christ.
2. Two turtle doves = Old and New Testaments
3. Three French hens = faith, hope and love.
4. The four calling birds = four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.
5. The five golden rings = Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.
6. The six geese a-laying = six days of creation.
7. Seven swans a-swimming = the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit - Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.
8. The eight maids a-milking = the eight beatitudes.
9. Nine ladies dancing = the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit-Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.
10. The ten lords a-leaping = the Ten Commandments.
11. The eleven pipers piping = for the eleven faithful disciples.
12. The twelve drummers drumming = the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.
Now that we all know the true meaning behind this Christmas song, we can sing it with a new understanding, in helps to recall the faith of Christianity and as a wonderful reminder of
Christ…our true love and the spectacular gifts He has given to each one who will receive them.
May the Lord enrich your relation with Him to overflow as you wait upon Him for the 2nd Advent
© Copyright 2011 Simone Lake All Rights Reserved
To find out more about her speaking engagements, teachings, and writings, go to: